Way back in the summer, I mentioned that we hoped to go to Disney in March of 2010. It seemed a long way off, which was good, because we had a lot of trouble deciding stuff. Important stuff, like, when would we go? Where would we stay? And how would we get there?
So several months later, we figure, we better do something about it. So I called up Disney and said, “Um, we’d like to come to Disney? Can you maybe talk to me about some options?”
Ha ha ha! I was such a newbie then! So green and innocent!
If you want to talk to Disney, there’s a whole new vocabulary you need to learn. You need to know your Magic Your Way pass options. You need to know your Moderate Resorts versus Deluxe Resorts versus Deluxe Villa Resorts. You need to know your Peak Season versus Summer Season versus Value season.
It’s overwhelming, but we finally figured it out. Now I feel like I learned a whole new language and culture. I’m like an ambassador to Disney! Interface through me, people!
We still aren’t completely sure what we are doing, but we are narrowing the focus, which is exciting. First of all, we have decided that we definitely are NOT driving to Florida. Our last couple of trips to Toronto have been rough — not that the kids were bad, exactly, but they’ve become very loud and shrieky in the car, which is not fun. Also, after a couple of hours of boredom the traditional Shoving Games start, and then it’s hour after hour of us yelling at the kids to cut it out, followed by them screaming that it’s all the other one’s fault, followed by secret shoving and pinching and poking, until someone cries (usually Sir Monkeypants).
I’m not sure that flying will really be much better in terms of behaviour and quality of travel, but we figure that at the worst, it’s one day of hell instead of three days of hell, EACH WAY, so we chose flying.
Next, we think we’re going to go in February this year. We were originally thinking March Break, but plenty of people warned us away from that time frame as Disney is so busy. Then, issues arose surrounding Sir Monkeypants’ job — he is likely to change companies in March and will lose all his accrued vacation, making travel in March impossible — and we didn’t want to push off the trip for a whole other year. So we decided to pull the kids out of school for a week and book for February.
Luckily, the first two weeks of February are still “Value Season,” which means we might actually be able to stay on the resort, which is something we ordinarily would not be able to afford. So we’re also looking at staying on the site, which is exciting for everyone. We debated for a long time whether we should do the full Disney experience — all Disney! all the time! — or stay off the resort in order to get a break, but in the end we decide what the hell, it’s the kids’ first time, let’s just go for it. All Disney! All the time!
We still have a lot of details to iron out, like, oh, finding a flight and finding a way to pay for everything! But it looks like we might actually get our act together enough to make it happen…which is so cool.