It’s my birthday tomorrow — I’ll be 39 years old. Beachmama turned 39 last month, and used the occasion to make up a little list of what she’d like to accomplish by the time she’s 40. I love this idea! I made a similar list when I turned 29 of things I wanted to do before 30, and it turned into an amazing year, full of fun new hobbies and experiences.
This year, I’m kind of just hoping to accomplish daily showers. However, I will reach for the stars a little bit and list things I actually do wish I could complete before the big four-oh.
1. Acquire some half-decent makeup and learn to put it on.
2. Figure out a back-to-work plan.
3. Sell one thing that I have written.
4. Learn to play three new songs on the guitar that I haven’t touched since I learned to play it, the year I turned 30.
5. Learn to bake a really kick-ass pie.
6. Throw a dinner party — maybe start a new tradition.
7. Create a garden or two in our yard, to share with Gal Smiley.
8. Write a book for the Captain to illustrate.
9. Toilet train Little Miss Sunshine (Dear God, kill me now, Love Lynn xo).
10. Reduce our household garbage to one bag per week.
11. Go on at least two dates with Sir Monkeypants.
12. Have a massive garage sale/charity run, and get rid of everything we don’t need.
13. Learn to play bridge.
14. Improve my French so I can help my immersion kids with their homework.
Seems like a lot…and yet, not enough. Did you know that in her life, Joan Fontaine was an Oscar-winning actress (for Hitchcock’s film Suspicion), a licensed pilot, a champion balloonist, an expert rider, a prize-winning tuna fisherman, a trophy-winning golfer, a Cordon Bleu chef, a licensed interior decorator, and a recipient of the Eleanor Roosevelt Humanitarian Award for her charity work?
I feel like I better get my ass in gear!