So it’s been two full weeks now of my carefree and indulgent life as a full-time stay-at-home-mom with no actual kids to take care of, all day long. Whee! It’s been great, but also it is becoming very clear to me that I need some structure in my day.
It is just too easy to fall down the black hole of The Internets and then BAM, next thing you know it’s six hours later and all you’ve done is read blogs and look up things in Wikipedia. Meanwhile, the breakfast dishes are still on the table, I haven’t eaten anything since 7 a.m. and I still have to drive the 800 meters to the school because I haven’t left myself enough time to walk. EEP.
Here are some things I absolutely need to find time for (and yet, have not found time for, despite having six hours a day to throw around):
- Work – I have about six money-making ventures on the go, all with various deadlines
- General household upkeep – including things like dishes, laundry, groceries
- Errands – I need at least one day a week to run around and do things like the library, or natural foods store, or Christmas shopping, etc.
- Exercise – seriously, or I will be dead in two years from complete body atrophy
That’s the minimum. I’d also like to find time for:
- Baking – so my poor allergic children don’t have to go to school with nothing but applesauce and carrot sticks every day
- Personal writing projects – I have about four book ideas I have been “meaning to get to,” as well as making more blog books
- Bigger house projects – like cleaning out every kitchen cupboard, clearing at least one layer of crap out of the kids’ rooms (shhhhhh), cleaning the windows (SHUDDER – they are like little squares of horror, anyone have any tips?)
- Having in-person conversations with other adults – oh, how easy it is to just stay home and disappear into my computer all day long, but then I’m like a freakish zombie/ogre when I finally see daylight
- Volunteering – I’d love to be able to do more at the kids’ school
Progress report so far: Watched several movies, learned a bunch of stuff from Wikipedia, blogged.
So, yes, I feel a schedule is in order. Some work time, some play time, some chores time, in a nice balance.
I’ll probably get around to making one on…maybe Tuesday? or Wednesday? These movies aren’t going to watch themselves, you know.